Friday, April 23, 2010

Homeopathic Arnica Gel for Pain

Many years ago, before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, or even knew what it was, I began taking a self defense class with a friend of mine. Unfortunately, I had to drop out after the first class. One of the first lessons was how to block with the forearms and the day following the class, I had huge purple goose eggs that hurt right down to the bone on both arms. I had a low grade fever that I believe was my body's response to the injury on my arms. Oddly, my friend had no such goose eggs on her arms and was not even sore. Well, not so oddly, I think to myself now - knowing what I know about fibromyalgia.

At the time, I was working as a baker and chef in a health food store. I had left the traditional bakeries to work with alternative ingredients because I'd been changing my own diet in an attempt to feel better. As a added plus, I got a great employee discount on supplements, which I badly needed. In an attempt to improve my health, I was swallowing about $200 a month of supplements. Twelve year ago, that was a lot of money. Even today, it's a lot of money. But I was feeling so miserable with fibro that I was trying whatever I could. The doctors had no answers for me and nothing that helped.

Back to my bruises. My boss at the health food store looked at the goose eggs on my arms and walked over to a shelf and grabbed a tube of Arnica Gel. He told me it worked miracles on bumps, bruises and pain. I was skeptical, and skeptic that I am, I decided to treat just one arm. I felt immediate lessening of pain after applying the gel. I applied it a few more times during the day and before bed. The next morning, I kid you not, the bruise and lump were barely visible. The swelling was completely gone, pain gone and just a slight discoloration to the skin. 

Over the years, I have used it on specific sore spots and aching muscles and had much better results with Arnica Gel than with major brand name pain relieving rubs. Some of those rubs leave a lingering cold or hot sensation that drives me up the wall and only makes me focus my attention on the hurting area all the more. Arnica Gel goes on a bit cool due to a witch hazel base and then it is quickly absorbed into the skin and forgotten. Yes, it makes me forget the sore spot and pain. 

This stuff has become a must have in my medicine cabinet and gets packed on trips and outings, especially when kids are along. If you have kids, you know all about bumps and bruises and goose eggs on heads. The first thing I run for after the bag of frozen peas ice pack is the Arnica Gel. I have seen it work miracles every single time.

Besides Arnica Gel, Arnica also comes in a homeopathic pill form to be taken internally. The pills can also speed the healing of painful injuries and can even be taken before surgery to minimize trauma to the body and speed healing. That is particularly helpful for fibromyalgia sufferers who are facing a surgical procedure.

Homeopathy is a broad and deep subject of which I have only rudimentary knowledge, however, I have repeatedly been pleased with the safe and gentle effectiveness of homeopathic remedies such as Arnica and Arnica Gel.

If you add Arnica Gel to your medicine cabinet, you may also want to add Calendula Gel for burns and scrapes, blisters, rashes, skin irritations. I have just as many miracle stories about Calendula Gel and pack my tube, along with the Arnica, whenever I venture into the world with children in tow. As a baker and chef, I've had my share of burns. I've tried everything there is to try for burns and Calendula Gel has proven itself to be the only thing that has minimized or completely relieved the pain of a burn and sped the healing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment