Monday, March 29, 2010

Growing Pains and Fibromyalgia

Many people I know who have fibromyalgia had "growing pains" in their legs when they were children. It was such a frequent and memorable interruption to my sleep as a child that I always assumed that everyone had the same experience and I was surprised to discover that it is not so. In fact, one article I read said that not all doctors relate growing pains in children's legs to growing at all and that many children who experience them have a parent with fibromyalgia. The children may also have other symptoms of fibromyalgia. Like many other things, genetics may predispose us to having fibromyalgia.

Thankfully, my legs have far less pain than many other parts of my body. The worst pain I experience is a stabbing to the bone pain deep in the center of my thigh that comes and goes - literally, it can be there when I step down and with another step, be gone - or it can linger for several days. Some friends with fibro have terrible leg cramps at night. I have recommended Hyland's homeopathic products in the past and have always found them to be helpful. Off topic, they make a sanity saving tablet for teething babies that really works. I just wanted to let any of you with leg cramps know about Hyland's Leg Cramp formula. Maybe it will help you sleep better at night. And if you have fibro and you have children with "growing pains" you might want to consider that your children are prone to fibro, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment